Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mindmap your speech!

While preparing a speech to give as a Test Speaker at a nearby club, outside our Division, I realized the power of mind-mapping to create a well organized speech. I will embellish  here by including the speech in progressive stages, so that you can generalize and create your personal speech.  Tony Bazan popularized the use of Mind Mapping as a way of "thinking out loud." Of course, we Toastmasters understand the value of writing our speeches out. We are also taught that we should never memorize our speech "word-for-word." So this method of thinking and planning makes great sense for us.

We begin our process by adding the two most important elements of our speech - the Opening and the Close. If you need to memorize any parts of your speech, these two elements are the most important. Why? Most people remember the first things they hear us say and the last things we say. That is why the sandwich evaluation method is effective. In my speech, I want to start with a couple of questions. In the close, I will provide the simple answer to question(s).


Now that I have a great opening and close written, I need fill in the blanks using the "body." This speech is a 3-5, so I don't need much more than 2 sentences each. So, I decide how I am going transition from the opening remarks to the conclusion. I decide to use a familiar Game Show (Let's Make A Deal) as the basis for three points - relating them to Door #1, Door #2 and Door #3.
Hidden behind each door our examples of what we find in life. The points will be one that is clearly "too bad," one that is "too good," and then one that is "just right." Does this story line sound familiar? We hear the use of three frequently, too many choices and we fail to hold them tight in our short-term memory. Don't worry, the story doesn't include a young blonde or a family of bears.



Finally, I must bring the relationships between my Opening and Door #1 as well as segue from Door #3 to my Close. I go through a couple of drafts, of course - because using a weak transition could result in the audience making the connections. Would you like to see the text of my entire speech?
I will post it online, after I have given it. I don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage.

HAPPY Speech Writing!